Saturday, November 1, 2014

"Ram"

I'm still working on the binding, but the "Ram" is finished. I thread painted his horns first, lots of wonderful cracks and texture, then double stuffed them with two layers of poly batting. Dense free motion quilting in the background and fleece, made the horn curl really stand out. I love how it is so dimensional. I use rayon threads to quilt, I like the shine and the stitching really adds a lot to the overall appearance. Quilting contours on the face and spirals in the fleece helped blend all the shades of fabric I used.
I lightened up the eye area with a lighter thread color, and highlighted some of the face too. The dark area under the top of the horn is his ear, the area below the horn tip is shadow. Does that come across at all? The blue sky is an ice dyed piece of fabric that I made this summer. It is quilted in looser spirals, similar to the fleece area. I wish the photos really showed how much the horn stands out.

I am linking this to Nina-Marie's "Off the Wall Friday" click on the badge in the right hand column to see what other talented textile artists are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment