Sunday, August 19, 2018

Free Motion Quilting

The gelatin mono-prints have been sewn together into a collage. I arranged and played with the layout for a while, mixing types and orientations, adding color balance and contrast. I settled on a layout after some thought, I had to refine it as I went along. After trimming each block and working out some technical sewing details, it went together with only a few changes.
I began free motion quilting each block with matching or contrasting rayon threads. The first prints were easiest to outline and add veins, the ghost prints are softer and I just outlined them, not wanting to obscure the fine detail in the printing.
I quilted extra outlines in the background to add texture. The split leaf gingko was printed on a soft turquoise hand dye instead of muslin, it adds extra color to the layout. I hope to get this finished this next week, the quilting is going real fast. I am linking this to Nina-Marie's "Off the Wall Friday" check out what other talented textile artists are doing this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment