Friday, September 14, 2018

Thermo Fax Silk Screening

Using some thermo-fax screens I got from Judy Coates Perez at Craft Napa, I made some small samples. I will be doing a hands on demo for our Fyber Café group, so I wanted to make some samples to take to Show & Tell. I used muslin and some hand dyed turquoise fabric for the ferns and leaves.
The small teasel prints were made just to use up some brown paint I had mixed up.
Then I moved on to printing some fat quarters of my hand dyed fabric. The teasel is printed with two shades of raspberry Speedball printing paint, the contrast was higher when the paint was wet. The smaller piece with the blue print was done on my wipe up cloth from the previous post. I have two teasel screens, one has a larger single stalk, the other has a pair of smaller ones. I'm thinking of using these two with some darker indigo fabrics I have dyed to make a composition.
The second fat quarter started with the darker green leaves, then the light green ferns. I added the small white, blue and pale green leaves to fill in the design. The blue paint was supposed to be more of a blue/green color, but I like the contrast.
The beautiful caramel fabric was made with lemon yellow and antique gold dyes, maybe a little terra cotta too. The rose screen was from a discount shelf at Walmart years ago, it is very delicate with fine lines, it is also self adhesive, which I really liked. I kept scraping the paint off the edge of the screen onto the fabric. That is why the bees were added, to cover up some of the oops. I think I will add duct tape to the edges of the screen to add a wider border. I really like how this came out, and I made it my screen saver on my laptop.
The wood grain was done to use up the brown paint I had mixed up to do the bees. Again a Walmart screen, the fine lines screened really well. Three swipes with the paint gave it a floor board look, as opposed to a single piece of wood. This has been a lot of fun, now I need to figure out how to use the fabric. I am linking this to Nina-Marie's "Off the Wall Friday" click here check out what other talented textile artists are doing this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment