Since Spring has turned to Summer, I have been waiting for a chance to do some Ice Dyeing, but we had an unusually cool June, so I finally got my chance. The temps were supposed to be in the 90's, so I got up early to get things set up. I had prepared some fabric with Shibori stitching, to make a snowflake design, I had seen some on a blog a while ago. I folded the fabric first, and took 1/4" stitches thru all the layers, and pulled it tight and knotted the thread. I also had some 1/3 yard pieces of white fabric and two T-shirts. I soaked all the fabric in soda ash, from an old gallon jug that I had. Mistake #1. After all the work, the color came out in the wash, even with Synthrapol. So I learned the hard way, to use fresh soda ash, even tho some of the books say it can be stored and saved. When I undid the stitching, there was no white line, the dye had worked it's way into all the fabric. There was some design from the folding, but I over dyed every thing, so no stitch lines any more.
The next morning I rinsed each piece of fabric until the water ran almost clear, then put it all in the washing machine with a capful of "Synthrapol." I can't wait to see the results, after the fabric comes out of the drier. The drier heat sets the colors, so no need to iron the fabric to heat set.
I am linking this to Nina-Marie's "Off the Wall Friday" click on the badge in the right hand column to see what other wonderful textile artists are doing this week.