Monday, December 22, 2014

Dear Jane Triangles

As much as I like Art Quilting, VERY MUCH, I also love traditional quilting. I recently saw a new Dear Jane group on Facebook, and they inspired me to make the border triangles. I have all the blocks done, but not sashed, and I was going to pass on the fancy border. A lot of the border triangles can be done with paper piecing, but many need hand sewn details, diamonds, and football shapes. My hands are hurting more than ever, after 2 years of being good enough to hand sew again. So I don't know when I'll get all the little details done. The piecing, I am doing with the sewing machine, people who are hand piecing their Dear Janes are gluttons for punishment. There are many talented people who are doing theirs by hand tho. I have 2 weeks off for Christmas break, so this is a good time to work on them. I finished up 9 blocks so far, and have several others, just waiting for the hand sewing.
There are 52 triangle blocks, and 4 corner kite shapes. The fabric I am using is all vintage from the 1920-1940s, as well as all the solids. I have only used new muslin for 2 blocks, when I did not have a suitable solid. I don't have any delusions about getting all the triangles done in 2 weeks, but as many as I can, just to get a good start on them. Then I can work on the applique when my hands feel better. The last photo is my fabric selections and patterns drawn out for the next set of blocks. Everyone have a wonderful holiday time, and a happy New Year. I'm going back to work on making Dark Chocolate Kahlua Truffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment