Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ghost Tree & Coffee Sleeves













I finished the "Ghost Tree" wall hanging. It is very soft, subtle and low contrast. The free motion machine quilting came out very nicely, it shows up very well on the back, with various gray threads on the black background. I quilted roots under the tree, and rocks and grasses off to the side, above the root line I added grasses, rocks and bare branches to create a landscape, you can barely see it from the front. Ribbons with curly cues, wave horizontally across the sky area. I thread painted the owl eyes in black and yellow, they are very piercing and stand out, this makes a focus in the top left, and your eyes flow across the quilt from that point. I am very pleased with the way I used my photographs of the branches for the background fabric, it was fun playing in Photo-shop to create them. As a quickie project I made several "Coffee sleeves" with scraps, so I can carry my hot coffee back from my walks. I made one in red/black with some oriental fabric for my neighbor Betsy, a pink one, purple and blue(masculine) I gave the two to the ladies at Dutch Bros. Coffee, and will give the guy the blue one after I make another for me. I couched yarns over the raw edges, and the outside, and added a Velcro closure. They insulated the cups just great, maybe my coffee won't get cold before I get home!

No comments:

Post a Comment