Saturday, June 2, 2012

Garage Sale Treasures

I hit the jackpot at a garage sale yesterday, a bag of vintage quilt blocks, circa 1920-30's. Yea! 20 large Dresden Plate circles, 25 small Dresden Plate blocks, 12 Jacob's Ladder and 12 Bow Tie blocks, and a twin size quilt top, with a very simple pattern of 1/4 square triangles, set with (Ugly) brown check setting squares. I love to applique Dresden Plates onto the muslin backing, and add a center circle. It will be fun to finish them. The smaller ones are already on muslin, I squared and trimmed up the muslin, cause the edges were frayed, and will cut scrappy sashing from my vintage fabric collection. It is fun looking at the fabrics, almost ALL of them are ones I have in my stash already, it's as if, these are the fabrics that were available in Roseburg at that time, and all the ladies used them, or shared scraps. My vintage fabric collection is quiet large, mostly from garage sales, but some from quilt shows and antique stores, and two sets from friends. I have already made a queen size top of Dresden plate blocks a friend gave me, a top done in Round Robin style with scraps, made by adding border to border, and a compilation of orphan blocks that I call "my time machine quilt." I am also making the "Dear Jane" pattern of 5" blocks with my vintage scraps. I have a lot of orphan blocks and partial quilt tops, that can be put together too.

No comments:

Post a Comment